The Skye Bridge is a bridge in Scotland that connects the Isle of Skye to the mainland. At the place where the bridge is located, the distance between the mainland and the Isle of Skye is the smallest: approximately 500 meters. The bridge has two carriageways, a footpath and a bicycle path.
View Larger Map
There was a spring in this place since about 1600. Since the late 19th century, there were plans to build a bridge to the Isle of Skye. The possibilities were there, but the small population on Skye and the remote location did not outweigh the costs of the bridge. However, increasing prosperity and emerging tourism brought more and more people to Skye, resulting in long queues at the ferry. This led to renewed attention for a bridge.
The first concrete plans were started in 1989. The Scottish-German group Miller-Dywidag became responsible for the implementation. Work started in 1992. The bridge surface rests on two pillars placed on caissons. The span between the pillars is 250 meters, the length between the pillars and the land is 125 meters on both sides. On October 16, 1995, the bridge was opened to traffic. Subsequently, there was a lot of protest, because a very high toll was levied, while the alternative, the ferry connection, was canceled when the bridge was opened. An action group started an intensive campaign to end tolls, and in December 2004 the bridge became toll-free. As a result, the Scottish government had to pay the remaining £ 27 million.